Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Rabies prevention


My dog bite became swollen and darker in colour and my ayurveda teacher told me to go to the hospital immediately and have rabies shots. So off I went with AJ to have the shots, which was pretty easy. The doc sent me off to buy the shot at the medical store and then I came back and a nurse injected me....painfully. Those shots really hurt, right in the hip area. I have to have another friday, and then the last one back home in the UK. I asked Mister R to get me an appointment and already it is proving to be a problem. I have to go to another surgery and pay for the shot, and basically it isn't as straight forward as here. The medical service is actually very good here, apart from Rew's blood taking experience.

There was an ambulance outside the hospital with a person who had just died inside. The doors were open and the person was fully visible, the family were around grieving. In the west we aren't subjected to death like this. Nothing like this would happen, the person would be whisked away to the morgue. We aren't this familiar with death. It wasn't sad, it was quiet and calm, no drama.

I was supposed to go round V's house for a practice but came too late because of the hospital trip. Still I turned up and she asked me about mari D which I have been having a but of a struggle with. I went to show her how I couldn't do it, and just fell into it, both sides. It's probably due to me being warmer in the afternoon than in the morning.

Practice today was good but I can't do shoulder stand because of the shoulder recovering still but everything else was fun and comfortable. Dropbacks with Saraswathi were tough but I feel secure with her. I don't know how she does it but she just flips you up without yanking you up. I wonder if I'll feel as comfortable with someone else. Anyway I have to learn to do it on my own eventually.

Today I filmed my walk from the main street to the shala, it was dark so for part of it there's not a lot to see as there's no street lights, but it shows what it's like. I filmes up to when I took my shoes off and the walk to the door. When I came out I filmes too, up until mingling around the coconut man. I took footage of my tabla teacher playing as well. Today was my last lesson.

Lunch was at a portugese couple's house, they serve lunch to yoga students. It was excellent food, I would definately go again but I won't get the chance unfortunately. I haven't been eating dinner because of early practice, it definately helps and it seems to be in line with ayurvedic principles! Guruji says to have a milk dinner.

Tune of the Day: "Last dance in Copacabana" - Superfunk

8 comments:

Lees Lamar said...

OMG. Dog bite? When did that happen?
My daughter was bitten by my parents dog and
got a really horrible infection. If you see a lot of swelling and any red lines around it, you need antibiotics too...
Good luck with that!

CJ said...

Thank you, it went like that yesterday but today the swelling has gone and it's not purple anymore. The rabies shots hurt more than the actual bite!

Lees Lamar said...

Oh good!
Good luck with the last shots.

Unknown said...

Hi CJ. My name is Arun, a software engineer working in Mysore. I moved to mysore a couple of months back and staying in Gokulam(in the same street , five houses next to Guruji's house). I wanted to learn tabala for a long time and was searching the web to get some information about where they teach tabala classes. Thats how i accidently stepped into your blog. According to my understanding, i guess you would have left India by now to your native. But, if possible would you be kind enough to share some information about the tabala teacher that you have mentioned in your blog. It would be of great help to me to learn tabala, for it will be a dream come true to me. You could reach me at arun_sridharan@infosys.com

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I think polite post. Particularly the title attracted me to study the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I about the post should acquire more info then it has.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.