Monday, November 27, 2006

Sleepy day


Today has been calm and sleepy. One of those days where doing hardly anything is most welcome. It's particularly hot and bright. I've been sorting out my things to bring home and it looks like packing won't be a problem. I'm not a great shopper so I haven't got a lot of extra stuff to pack. I did get 7 books though, I like the Bihar ones and they are about 100rs each, they are the most awkward thing apart from the tabla but they fit in an empty mat bag. One of my coolest purchases has been a camouflage mat bag made by the little lady up the road. It's sturdy and I love it. So much for detachment from material things!

I had a tabla class which went well, it's amazing how far I've come in 2 weeks. The brain learns to engage with it and the hand-brain co-ordination engages. My teacher V.R.R Bhargava (lessons bookable via Chakra house) is very advanced, he plays in concerts and then teaches as well. He told me to practice, practice, practice my playing in the UK, email him with any questions, and then come back. I'll do just that, hopefully I will get better at it.

Everything is "practice, practice, practice". Nothing comes from nowhere, and nothing is easy, but it comes bit by bit, with practice. Sigh.

I am going to visit V, a very nice yoga teacher from the States to work on technicalities, namely Supta K and Mari D. I have managed both in the past, but not recently. There has been quite some enthusiasm for the yoga group that I run back home, I've connected with some real fountains of knowledge here which will help me a great deal. Yogis are very helpful and kind people, most of them anyway.

Ho-hum, coming home....not really looking forward to it at all. I haven't been homesick or anything here, which isn't entirely suprising as I've travelled enough to eliminate that from my system. I'm looking forward to seeing my Mister R and all my lovely friends who I have missed, but I just wish they could come here instead. I feel very at home and I like the way of life, but I have to remind myself that I'm not doing any Big Company work which really helps. I'd rather be a full time phd, I'd stay out here a bit longer and I've been getting lots done, more than I get done back home. Blarg, Big Company, that's the wost thing by far.

Still, I have some time left here and some cool practices in the shala. Being upgraded to full-primary is nice, I've missed it, although I'm very pleased to have been able to focus on Supta K for the first 2 weeks. I think that Saraswathi is a great help, I've enjoyed having her help me. Guruji has been very inspiring and I will miss them. Sharath was only here at the begining and I found him to be a happy soul and also a great help.

Tune of the Day: "When I shine" - Herbaliser

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.