Thursday, November 30, 2006

Goodbye to my teachers


Today has involved sorting a few things out for my departure which is early saturday morning, I'll spend the day in Bangalore with J and then fly at 6:30am on sunday morning.

Practice was fun and light, but I was quite distracted. I kept thinking about what to pack where, what going home would be like, what I would miss, who I would miss, when I would come back...I still can't do shoulderstand due to the shoulder pain, but I did a superb headstand including the holding half way for 10 breaths and then coming back up for 10 breaths. I also bound in Mari D again.

I ran some errands like going to Meena's the silver selling lady to buy a few gifts. I always end up spending a fortune in there. She serves up the best chai in Mysore though, and she's incredibly nice. Actually here in Gokulam everyone seems to remember your name. I also got some chocolates from Gheeta, not sure if they'll survive the trip to the UK but we'll see. Her chocolates have been given to the Dalai Lama. They're very nice, and I'm not even a chocolate fan.

We had lunch at Gheeta's with Dr Navagaraj and our Ayurveda class. We had a great time, he said that the intimacy was the greatest thing about our meal. He was sad to see us go I think. We were all sad to part with him. Today he told us what our doshas were and it was funny. He told C that she was Kapha but she had some things which weren't like her hair that didn't have any lustre and was thin...he doesn't mince his words!

My tabla teacher gave me his email address and told me to email whenever I had a question and to keep practising "every day, some tabla, then come back". So I'll do that. He played for me so that I could film it on my camera. He's a very sweet man.

I went to say goodbye to Guruji and Saraswathi because tomorrow is led and it's always a bit busy so I probably wouldn't get the chance. They might be a bit confused when I turn up tomorrow though! Saraswathi gave me a huge hug and told me to come back soon. I felt a bit tearful. I went to Guruji and said goodbye, he also gave me a huge hug and the famed kiss on the lips. He asked "Why leaving?". I said "I have to go to work" to which he answered "ooooooooooh". As in "poor you" I think! I said I might come back next year and he laughed and said "In a month it is already next year". I had a photo with him which was cool and he wrote in my copy of "Suryanamaskara". e had a good giggle which I always really value, he has a beautiful smile...honestly, I'm not just being all gooey!

A little giggle for you guys out there: yesterday Guruji was helping Violetta get into Supta Kurmasana and after a bit he said "some fat is there". Not sure that yoga teachers back home could get away with saying something like that! Violetta btw is not overweight in any shape or form.

I had a couple of coconuts at the coconut stand and had a moment to contemplate my month in Mysore. I've loved all the food, the people, the yoga was exceptional, and there are so many other things. Even if I have to have Rabies shots again, I would come back to Mysore :)

Tune of the Day: "Somebody" - Depeche mode (suggested by Violetta)

1 comment:

Lou said...

Well done miss J! I have been an avid reader of your evocative descriptions. What a month you've had! Look forward to seeing you soon and talking about it all. Om shanti!
Lou x x x

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.